An extermination attempt may have caused a house fire in South Columbus. The family was trying to get rid of bedbugs.
"My grandson came running in telling me he seen bugs in the couch," Janet Estep said, homeowner. Estep's fiancé, Chuck Adams, sprayed their couch with bug spray. Estep had no idea, and when she lit a lighter in her own home, it sparked.
Fire crews got to the home before 4:00 a.m. Estep lives with Adams and her four grandchildren. What started as a bug problem turned into a mad rush for the door. Now, bed bugs are the least of her worries.
"Everybody was trying to throw water around, saying lets get it out. It hadn't caught fire to anything yet." Estep said.
Family members tried to get the couch out of the house. When that didn't work, they all just got out of the building. Estep said it's a close call that could've been much more than bugs.