A Canadian mom accidentally poisoned her five children, killing an infant and leaving the other four hospitalized in critical condition, after she used an agricultural pesticide she brought from Pakistan to fumigate the apartment for bedbugs.
The mom spread pellets of the poison phosphine Tuesday around her Fort McMurray apartment and became concerned when all five children began vomiting Saturday.
Her 8-month-old girl died after the mother took the kids to the hospital Sunday, while the other four, between ages 2 and 7, remain critically ill.
“She just wanted to kill bed bugs, and she just put some medicine over there in (the) apartment because she complained to the apartment caretaker and she didn't respond to anything,” the woman’s sister, Shazia Yarkhan, told CTV Edmonton.
Firefighters found the dangerous fumigant, which attacks the central nervous system and is for commercial use only, in an unlabeled container. Officials said the pesticide was brought into Canada illegally.