Did you know that there are over a thousand different species of carpenter ant? Below are more fascinating facts about carpenter ants!
- The carpenter ant is one of the largest of all the types of ant, ranging between a sixteenth of an inch to half an inch in length.
- Queen carpenter ants have been known to grow to a massive one inch in size.
- Carpenter ants get their name from the fact that they make their nests in wood, cutting, grooving, tunneling and sanding to make a series of long tunnels, or galleries, in which they live.
- Carpenter ants are skilled carpenters and their wooden homes are perfectly smooth and rounded, sanded to perfection, and they leave no mess, no splinters, sawdust, chippings or other debris cluttering up the place.
- The carpenter ants do not actually eat the wood they excavate galleries for nesting.
- Most foraging is done at night between sunset and midnight during spring and summer months.
- Sometimes workers travel up to 100 yards from a nest in search of food.
- Carpenter ant colonies can range from several hundred ants to several thousand ants per colony.
- There can be up to 15 colonies on a given property with ants in excess of 50,000!
General Manager - Staff Entomologist