Norwood, MA - Yellow Jackets, Wasps, Bees, Stings
In past blogs I mentioned how pests can cause harm. In a past topic it was wasps attacking a school sending people to the hospital. I had a first hand experience on how scary a situation this is. We were having a team building company lunch when John Stellberger our company president was stung on the hand by a yellow jacket. He picked up his cell phone on his desk and did not realize there was a rogue yellow jacket on the phone and it stung him in the hand. The thing about this that was unusual is that John had been stung about 5-7 times in his life with no adverse reactions, the last time about a month ago. John started feeling itchy on his feet & hands so he quickly took a liquid antihistamine which only slowed the reaction to the venom. After 15min the itchy sensation was spreading all over his body and he began to swell up. I immediately drove John to the emergency room where in route the swelling became severe. They immediately took John in and administered a steroid and oxygen and he began to recover and after 4hrs he was released from the hospital. The doctor said that John’s system probably desensitized itself when he was stung last month and now is at risk for anaphylactic shock from stings. The doctor said that the human body can go in and out of reactions to allergens based upon exposures.
The moral of the story is that insect stings can be life threatening even if you have never had an issue in the past.
George E. Williams Jr., A.C.E.
General Manager - Staff Entomologist